Rafaqat Ali Chaudhary wrote:
> Hi every body,
>
> I've got here a script which extracts event logs from Hexadecimal
> files by parsing them for a certain pattern set. The script runs
> fine on Solaris 8 (running on a SUN box) but fails on Linux or a
> Windows box.

Hi.

Look at all that John mentioned, and then read

  perldoc -f binmode

The well-behaved systems around the world don't care
whether you're reading binary or text, but both Windows
and various Linux incarnations have oddities in this
area.

But please let us know more about your program, data
files and platforms, otherwise we can do little.

Rob