> I'm writing a webmin module and I'm trying to add a search function
> in right now but after I search for it and try to display the output
> it has a problem with the way the output is formatted.
>
> print "searchtest<gimp><10>"; will print searchtest<10>
> print "searchtest< gimp><10>"; will print searchtest< gimp><10>
>
> I don't understand why it will not print any of what is inside the
> <> if what is right next to the < is a letter. Numbers and spaces
> will print everything on the line but a letter discards everything
> in the brackets. I've tried to escape the special meaning of the <>
> characters when used with a word but it didn't work. Does anybody
> out there have any insight into this problem?

OK I have some more information about the initial problem as described above.
The problem isn't really with perl at all but with HTML as this is printing to
a web page. HTML is taking the <gimp> to be a command for it to execute
instead of plain text in a string. Should I design a regexp to replace all <
and > with something else? If so how would I replace something using a regexp?
I've never used regexps before so some help on this would be great.