On Friday 25 Jul 2003 3:26 am, Wiggins d'Anconia wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I have been writing perl along with some other languages, and I have been
> > thinking about setting up a server (so that I can play with different
> > server OS's and settings without messing anything up on our home
> > network). My parents think that it will cost to much in power. I was just
> > wondering if anyone knows about how much it is per day to run a computer
> > without a monitor.

[SNIP]
> Good luck, you have stumbled on to probably the best way to learn about
> computers, aka breaking them (at least the OS)....
>
> http://danconia.org
>
> 1995 numbers:
> http://it.erau.edu/NewsnLinks/energy_efficiency/energy_efficiency.html

One thing to remember is the power management settings.  Using things like (I
think) hdparm, you can set time-outs for the hard drives which will probably
save quite a bit.  With good power management settings your server could end
up using less power than your mobile phone charger (okay, stretching the
point a bit there)

--
Gary Stainburn