Yesterday, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have been writing perl along with some other languages, and I have been
> thinking about setting up a server (so that I can play with different
> server OS's and settings without messing anything up on our home network).
> My parents think that it will cost to much in power. I was just wondering
> if anyone knows about how much it is per day to run a computer without a
> monitor.

This might help: I live in South Texas (Houston, to be exact), and run a
Celeron-300 class machine, two dual-processor Celeron-600 class machines,
two monitors, an array of peripherals, and two UPSs (all 24/7 except for the
monitors, which are on about 10 hours a day)--and in the summertime heat my
electric bill (average 10 cents/Kilowatt-hour) is still around $150 a month.
So yes, the machines do eat a bit of electricity, but replace some standard
incandescent bulbs with florescent, and it'll balance out.

Paul