On Jul 28, Pandey Rajeev-A19514 said:

>In this subroutine, @FORMATTED_OUTPUT was filled up as a 2 dimensional
>array $FORMATTED_OUTPUT[$i][$j].

>sub ABC {
>...... SOME CODE
>return (\$rows, \$cols, [EMAIL PROTECTED]);
>}

WHY are you returning a reference to a scalar?  If $rows is a reference to
an array, you can just return $rows.  Returning \$rows means you have a
reference to a reference to an array.  That's rarely useful.

What *are* $rows and $cols?

>In subroutine DEF, ABC is called, and the dimension of @buffer increased
>to 3, ie it became a three dimensional array and the array elements can
>be accessed as $buffer[0][$i][$j].

>sub DEF {
>my @buffer, $row, $col;

That is an improper statement.

  my (@buffer, $row, $col);

>        ($$row, $$col, @buffer) = ABC('INPUT', 'Interface', 'OUTPUT', 'IP-Address');

This is not going to work very well.  If we correct the ABC() function to
return $rows, $cols, and [EMAIL PROTECTED], then why not just do:

  my ($r, $c, $buffer) = ABC(...);

Now you have variables of the exact same form that you returned from
ABC().  $r and $c are whatever $rows and $cols are, and $buffer is a
reference to the @FORMATTED_OUTPUT array.  You can't automagically turn an
array reference into an array by saying:

  @array = [EMAIL PROTECTED];

which is what you were trying to do.  All that does is store a reference
to an array as element 0 of @array.  That's why you need to do
$buffer[0][$i][$j].

>       PRINT (\$$row, \$$col, [EMAIL PROTECTED]);

I have no idea WHY you're sending a reference to the dereferenced $row.

  PRINT($r, $c, $buffer);

Sending a reference to @buffer here, as you did, means that PRINT() would
be receiving a reference to an array, whose first element is a reference
to an array.

Then, when you'd say

  my ($row, $col, @buffer) = @_;

in the PRINT() function, @buffer would be an array with one element:  a
reference to an array, with one element, a reference to an array.  That's
why you'd have to say $buffer[0][0][$i][$j].

In short, once your FIRST function returns a reference to an array, use it
as a reference to an array:

  sub foo {
    my @data = qw( john jacob jingleheimer schmidt );
    return [EMAIL PROTECTED];