> You've got it, only, don't return anything.
>
> Here is a command-line example:
>
>    perl -le'sub v{${$_} = ++$c for qw[x y z]} v; print "$x $y $z"'
>
> This is basically exactly what you have there.  It's not
> supposed to "return" variables, but rather "create" variables.
>
> Just a note, this is generally unelegant and therefore
> usually the wrong approach to solve a problem.

That what I'd say also except here I'm using a series of numbers for(100..1000) { }
Each one has the same string except the number is different
And then want to just declare them all with one call and use them as I want.

I'm glad to know that principle works, thanks.

Any idea how to get it to be friends with use strict; ??

IE
perl -le'use strict;sub v{${$_} = ++$c for qw[x y z]} v; print "$x $y $z"'

>   Casey West

Thanks Casey!