Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:

> Nelson Wong wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I always get three identical copies of a message all the time,
>> therefore, I just wonder if anyone has the same situation as mine!
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> BTW, it is a great ML!!! Happy knowledge sharing!
>>
> No, But reading the full headers of both the mails can help.
>
> I think using nntp.perl.org is a great option. Use nntp instead of
> mails. No sending mails back and forth. Mails typically are relayed
> across many servers before the finally reach the destination thus in
> general cause more wasteful traffic on the net.
>
>    BTW I am saying this because I am a mail server administrator ( And I
> hate to see all newsgroup mails clogging my mail server )
> Typicaly I believe only 10-20% of mails are read by these recipients and
> a waste of bandwidth relaying all mails
>
> These are purely my opinions , I dont intend to dissuade anyone using
> mail to the list

Personally I think that using a newsreader pointed to nntp.perl.org is a far
more efficient way to read these lists.

#1 it doesn't clog your inbox and you don't have to sort the mailing list
mails out of your normal mail to more easily keep track of them in a busy
group
#2 the digests and messages also use up more server bandwidth than is
necessary with the groups
#3 it's MUCH easier to both catch up, and follow the various postings if
you're away for a time.
#4 messages use proper threading so it's easier to follow a thread. Mailers
generally destroy the threads and you wind up with posts all over the list
that ARE related but ARE NOT threaded.
#5 you'll have fewer people replying to a message (which occasionally if
their mailer supports threads) when they INTEND to create a new thread,
which causes their NEW message to appear BELOW a thread that's completely
unrelated to it. If people are ignoring that thread because it doesn't
interest them, they will never see the new message.

C'mon, how often do you get cheaper, faster AND better, at one swell foop?
:-)