On Mon, 08 Sep 2003 23:58:16 -0700
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (R. Joseph Newton) wrote:

> I'm sticking with my guns here.  Extended passages of sequential code
> are the breeding grounds for errors.  They become progressively more
> difficult to debug.  As needs change, such code becomes more and more
> difficult to adapt to those needs.  Eventually, such code will end up
> having to be re-written from the start, because the lack of separation
> between functional elements will make for unintended  side effects of
> any changes. In short, it becomes garbage.

I happen to agree with this point of view; that if a subroutine or
function takes up more than a certain amount of space (usually it is
a 'feeling' that it is inefficient and not a number of lines ;-) ) then
it is going to have more bugs in it that a shorter piece of code.

I would like to go on record as being a person that is guilty of
producing inefficient subroutines, or code that is bigger than it needs
to be- that is part of the learning process; 3 months from now I
predict that most of the code I have written will need to be rewritten
to use new [better] skills and [more efficient] methods I have learned.
Hopefully, these new skills will extend the reusable parts of my code.

Feel bad about producing garbage, but accept it happens,
Don't throw anything away, recycle it!

GL

--
Gavin Laking - Web Development Daemon