Dan Anderson wrote:

> My local pointy haired boss decided I should learn Perl over the weekend

The whole language, and all its subtleties, or some functional subset.

> -- specifically to interact with databases and use in CGI programming.

What is your first Perl task.  Focus on the task itself, work out the logic,
and write what code you can to express that logic.  Then let us know about
where you are getting stuck.  The more specific you can be about the
immediate needs, the better you can focus your efforts in learning the
language.

Joseph