The /g modifier worked thanks all.  I needed to take the quotes in the
file and backslash them so the file could be read into one of our tools
without a problem.  Thanks for the short version too.  I never thought
of it that way.

Newbie..

On Mon, 2003-11-17 at 20:37, Tore Aursand wrote:

    On Mon, 17 Nov 2003 15:18:47 -0700, Eric Walker wrote:
    > How do I get it to do more than one substitution in the string.

    By using the /g modifier.

    > $_ = $$Rules{$yes}{rule_desc};

    No.  Don't _ever_ try to set $_ yourself, unless you _really_ have to
    (which you don't in this case).

    > $_ = $$Rules{$yes}{rule_desc};
    > s/"/\\"/;
    > $$Rules{$yes}{rule_desc} = $_;

    These three lines could easily have been shortened down to only one;

      $$Rules{$yes}{rule_desc} =~ s/"/\\"/g;

    However:  Why do you need to quote the " characters?

    --
    Tore Aursand <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>