On Friday, Nov 28, 2003, at 11:01 US/Pacific, Paul Kraus wrote: [..]
I need to beef up on my UNIX skills. Are major server is running Sco
Open server.

Will this book benefit me or is there another I should look at.
[..]

as a general over-view it is a reasonable work.
The question of course is 'which unix skills'?

if it is shell level, then you will also want
to get the sed and awk books, to go backwards
so that you can read basic shells script tricks.

As tony noted "the essential admin" is a must for
the generic unix work.

and then there is 'man man' to start into the
general man pages. Most of what the user will
want is in section 1, section 3 is the traditional
place for caching all of the 'code level' manual pages.
{ in much the same way as Perl sorts out man pages - 8-) }

If you are not getting down into the Kernel Layer
then you will do well to have both books, as well
as going over the perl power tools: cf
<http://www.perl.com/language/ppt/>

which will give you a pleasant review of how many
of those commands mostly work, and in perl to boot.

ciao drieux

---

-- To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]