-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 11:54 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Frustrated newbie question

Help. I'm a frustrated newbie who wants to use Perl to make my life
easier.

The following simple task is only one small part of a program I'm trying
to put together to automate some things I currently do manually.

I have a file whose format looks like this:

name1          name2          name3
name4          name5          name6, etc.

The names are separated by spaces.   I need the names to be one name per
line, like this:

name1
name2
name3, etc.

<snip>
I did get this array structure to work:

my @names = qw(name1     name2     name3);
print "$names[0] \n";
print "$names[1] \n";
print "$names[2] \n";

So I then spent time unsuccesfully trying to figure out how to get my
string split into the array. I couldn't get that to work either. More
Arrggh !
<snip>

-----
I'm pretty much a newbie myself and don't understand qw as well as I
need to yet but it seems as if you want to read up on the 'split'
function.
HTH,
Chris.
Chris Mortimore