[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Help. I'm a frustrated newbie who wants to use Perl to make my life
> easier.
>
> The following simple task is only one small part of a program I'm
> trying to put together to automate some things I currently do
> manually.
>
> I have a file whose format looks like this:
>
> name1          name2          name3
> name4          name5          name6, etc.
>
> The names are separated by spaces.   I need the names to be one name
> per line, like this:
>
> name1
> name2
> name3, etc.
>
> I currently use a macro with a text editor to clean up the file into
> the one name per line format.  I can do this very quickly in contrast
> to the the last two hours I've spent trying to figure out how to get
> Perl to do this very simple task.  Arrggh !
>
> To simply things, I just tried to take the following string and print
> it out one name per line.
>
> my $x = "name1     name2     name3";

You can try this:

my $x = "name1     name2     name3";

foreach ( split(/\s+/, $x) ) {
        printf "%-s\n", $_;
 }
Wags ;)
> I've tried various schemes using regex's and the ///s operator.  Most
> of the time I get syntax errors and the few times I get anything to
> work, it's not what I want.
>
> I did get this array structure to work:
>
> my @names = qw(name1     name2     name3);
> print "$names[0] \n";
> print "$names[1] \n";
> print "$names[2] \n";
>
> So I then spent time unsuccesfully trying to figure out how to get my
> string split into the array. I couldn't get that to work either. More
> Arrggh !
>
> Anyway, any help at this point will be appreciated.  I'm hoping that
> in the long run the time I spend learning Perl will pay off, which it
> will if I can automate some of the tasks I do manually (with the help
> of macros in a text editor).
>
> My next Perl task after I get my list of one name per line, is to
> sort the list and eliminate duplicate names.
>
> Thanks again for any help.

This message contains information that is confidential
and proprietary to FedEx Freight or its affiliates.
It is intended only for the recipient named and for
the express purpose(s) described therein.
Any other use is prohibited.