"John W. Krahn" wrote:

> "R. Joseph Newton" wrote:
> >
> > Joel Newkirk wrote:
> >
> > > Well, actually they don't, since the 'bare' # will be interpreted as
> > > starting a comment, while the one in quotes won't...  ;^)
> > >
> > > The op's assignment was assigning 'split(/' to @temp...
> >
> > Did you test.
>
> Did YOU test?

The code as it is?  Nope.  Knew the likely result:
Greetings! E:\d_drive\perlStuff\JPEG>perl -le'
Can't find string terminator "'" anywhere before EOF at -e line 1.

> > The only problem I see with John's code is that it addumes that
> > the print statement will print a newline,
>
> There is no such assumption, I explicitly told perl to print a newline.

I see:
[portable--semi, anyway, takes ^D to finish in 'nix]
Greetings! E:\d_drive\perlStuff\JPEG>perl -l
@temp = split(/#/, "abc#def#ghi#jkl");
print for @temp;
^Z
abc
def
ghi
jkl

> > which it doesn't [at least on my
> > installation of V5.8].  On the main point, he is right.
> >
> > Greetings! E:\d_drive\perlStuff\giffy>perl -w
>
> How is this supposed to run on the command line without -e ?

Wasn't.  Runs in the Perl interpreter.  That way, I'm not struggling to cram
disparate concepts into one line.
Greetings! E:\d_drive\perlStuff\giffy>perl -w

> > @temp = split(/#/, "abc#def#ghi#jkl");
> > print "$_\n" for @temp;
> > ^Z   #^D for 'nix
> > abc