> On Monday, December 15, 2003 03:05, John W. Krahn wrote:
>
> >Here is a little quiz for you beginners out there.  split() treats its
> >first argument as a regular expression.  There are TWO exceptions where
> >the first argument does not behave the same as a normal regular
> >expression.  What are they?
>
> The first one that comes to mind is using // for your search.  Rather than
> repeating the last search, it searches for the null string to split on.
>
> The second one is if you include parentheses in your regex.  If you put
> parentheses around your regex, then split will create entries for each of
> the matched terms in addition to the just the "splitted" items.
>
> So, do I win a prize or something?  :)

But parentheses are normal in a regex, though granted the return is odd.
I would guess as the second the special case where ' ' is passed and the
string is split on whitespace which is not interesting, but where
leading space is skipped?

http://danconia.org

--
Boycott the Sugar Bowl! You couldn't pay me to watch that game.