I have use the FORMAT function in perl. Its pretty nice.
perldoc -f format.

Hope that helps
perlknucklehead

On Fri, 2003-12-19 at 14:20, Rob Dixon wrote:
    Bill Jastram wrote:

    > We're getting closer. But lets say the first name of the first
    > field in the first row is 'Bill'. And the first name of the
    > first field in the second row is 'Lanette'. This command will
    > not compensate for the difference in the length of the two
    > first names. So, the alignment of the second fields in each
    > row will not be correct. And so on ...
    >
    > Does this help you understand where I'm headed?

    Hi Bill.

    What James wrote still applies I think. See the code below,
    which does what I think you want?

    HTH,

    Rob

    foreach ('Bill Jastram', 'Lanette Smith') {
      printf "%-20s %-20s\n", split;
    }

    **OUTPUT

    Bill                 Jastram