> ok with that can I still continue through the loop and
> process the next line?

You can use $_ :
for(qw(1 2 3)) {
        print "Processing files - iteration number $_\n";
        my @files = qw(foo.txt bar.html);
        for(@files) {
                open(FH,"<$_") or die "Can not open $_ : $!;
                my $prev;
                while(FH) {
                        print "Previous item was $prev\n" if defined $prev;
                        print "Current item is $_\n";
                        $prev = $_;
                }
                close(FH);

What happens when you do something like that?