--As off Tuesday, December 30, 2003 11:58 AM -0600, Dan Muey is alleged to have said:

So now it said "Connection not established" for
the local sending to remote, which I would think would
be the easiest one, especially since:

Local to local is ok.
Remote to local is ok.
I'm not doing any remote to remote.

But authentication made my mail servers start sending it but I'm
still not sure why my  mail server would insist on authentication
in one case but not the other.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

They are doing the Right Thing and not being an open relay. Basically the server says *one* of the persons involved has to be known to it. If the email is for a local user it knows that person. If it isn't, you have to authenticate as someone it knows. Otherwise Joe Spammer can come and ask the server to please deliver these 10k messages to random people.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.