--As off Wednesday, January 14, 2004 6:23 PM -0500, danl001 is alleged to have said:

I'm thinking the way the file is sorted is something simple, yet
something I don't recgonize! As a result, you'll see that my method
is probably very over-complicated.

I have also posted some more data that is representative of what I
have to work with. Both the comparison function I'm using and the
sample data are attached if anyone wants to check it out. I
appreicate any suggestions.

--As for the rest, it is mine.

Quick question: is this data more representative than the data in the first email? In particular, does set 4 from the first email actually exist, exactly as listed, anywhere?

If this latter data is more representative I'd bet on ASCIIbetical ordering: Compare each string one character at a time based on it's ASCII encoding, and stop the comparison at the first different character. Don't think of numbers or punctuation as anything different, just handle them the same.

Daniel T. Staal

local copyright law.