John thank you for the example, one question about the example code...

It isn't printing anything to my out file, although it does create it.

On the print $out line, I don't need print $out "$_\n";  do I?

Or, the expression /STUFF:STUFF/   What if my line looks like this..
1 17 7 PM ET:Name:Name:STUFF:STUFF:STUFF  Would the example you provided
still match this line?  I suspect this is the issue but am not sure.
Would I need something like /.*STUFF:STUFF/ ?

Thanks again,
Taylor