Taylor Lewick wrote:

> John thank you for the example, one question about the example code...
>
> It isn't printing anything to my out file, although it does create it.
>
> On the print $out line, I don't need print $out "$_\n";  do I?

I didn't remove the "\n" character from the input line so it doesn't
have to be added to the output line and print() prints the contents of
$_ if nothing other than the filehandle is passed to it.

> Or, the expression /STUFF:STUFF/   What if my line looks like this..
> 1 17 7 PM ET:Name:Name:STUFF:STUFF:STUFF  Would the example you provided
> still match this line?  I suspect this is the issue but am not sure.

What EXACTLY is STUFF?  It could contain regex meta-characters which
will cause it to fail.  Maybe you should use index() instead (as Wiggins
suggested.)

> Would I need something like /.*STUFF:STUFF/ ?

No.

John
--
use Perl;