Timwrote:

> At 03:16 PM 1/23/04 +0000, you wrote:
> >Why not write it yourself?
> >
> >You need to know:
> >
> >- Which day of the week is the 'first'.
> >
> >- Which was the first week of the year that had four or more days.
> >   That's week one.
> >
> >Then do the sums/arithmetic/math/mathematics/calculations (what /do/
> >people prefer?)
>
> This message thread made me curious about just what constitutes the first
> week of the year. Is there a standard definition or are we making one here?

I got this from the British 'Letts' diary manufacturer about ten years back.
Clearly it makes sense, as a week is, usefully, an odd number of days long
and can be assigned into either one year or the other. The big difference
is on which day a week starts, which is both nationally and culturally
variant.

Rob