Hi, I'm considering upgrading from ActiveState Perl 5.6.1 to 5.8.2 (in order to use
the latest Apache and mod_perl, although that's kind of beside the point).

Unfortunately, being a Perl beginner, I've installed CPAN modules by a variety of
methods including:
- manually downloading the .zip from CPAN and running its make
- manually downloading the .zip from ActiveState and running its install
- using PPM to download and install from ActiveState
- downloading just the Perl source (!!!) from single .pm files  (!!!) on CPAN and
placing it by hand.  (Honest, that was at the very beginning of learning Perl.)

Now I'm ready to "get religion" and start managing all my packages the right way.  So
my question is: what is the right way?  How do *you* go about managing all your
downloaded modules?

Questions:

- I see that CPAN.pm is available to install packages and prerequisites.  Does it play
well with PPM?  When you have a choice, is it preferable to use PPM or CPAN.pm?
- How can I get PPM to tell me everything that's installed?

And specific to the Perl version upgrade:

- Is there any way to say "take everything added to 5.6.1, and add it again to 5.8.2"?
 (I'm not doing an inplace upgrade, if that's even possible, because I want to test
everything with 5.8.2 before I commit to getting rid of 5.6.1.)
- How can I tell whether a module contains compiled binary code (these being modules
likely to need downloading from scratch for 5.8.2)?
- Can anyone say what I would "break" by upgrading to 5.8.2?  Are there major CPAN
modules known to become incompatible when moving to 5.8.2?

I'm facing a look of work to get all this straight, and I'd really appreciate any
pointers.  TIA.