Hi,

i ont want to get involved in the religios questions: for the rest:

> use PPM or CPAN.pm? - How can I get PPM to tell me everything that's
> installed?

ppm> query *   #gives you the list of installed modules
ppm> properties Mo::Dule  #gives you a detailed discriptio of that installed
module

> Can anyone say what I would "break" by upgrading to 5.8.2?  Are there major
> CPAN modules known to become incompatible when moving to 5.8.2?

Not from the top of my head.
However, if you check
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Modules/

and look for the ppm module status, youll find a nice table telling you which
modules work in which version of activestate perl.
There is a lot of modules that dont work with 5.8. yet (like
Mail::POP3Client).

Good luck, Wolf