Hi Stuart...
        Below was one of my first "real" scripts, that is, that folks at
work use.  I did mine interactively.  It goes through a file of arbitrary
length asking the user to change xxx values for "ComputerID=xxx" and for
"Address=xxx".  I think the next-to-last line is slightly risky to the
original file data, but in this case the file in question was known to be
backed up, so I wasn't living too dangerously ...
        Newbie-to-newbie, there's stuff in here that you'll probably enjoy;
I had fun figuring out how to make this script work...
        Of course, more experienced hands might have more refined ways of
doing such things...
        -Chris

> use strict;
> use warnings;
>
> open (INFILE, "c:\\testmessage.txt") or die "The source file
> failed to
> open - $!";
> my @testarray = <INFILE>;
> my $name = "stuart";
> print @testarray;
>
> Here's what it prints:  My name is $name.
>
> Here's the testmessage.txt file:  My name is $name.
>
> After running my script, I'd like the testmessage.txt to
> read:  My name is
> stuart.
>
> Thanks again for any help.

open INI, "$file"
        or die "Couldn't open $file \n";

my @out;

while (<INI>) {
        my ($flag,$value) = split /=/, $_;
                if ($flag eq "ComputerID") {
                        print "ComputerID is $value . Change it to what?";
                        my $newval = <STDIN>;
                        my $line = "$flag=$newval\n";
                        print "$line\n\n";
                        push @out, $line;
                }
                elsif ($flag eq "Address") {
                        print "Address is $value. Change it to what?";
                        $newval = <STDIN>;
                        $line = "$flag=$newval\n";
                        print "$line\n\n";
                }
                else {
                        $line=$_;
                }
        push @out, $line;
}
open OUT, ">$file"
        or die "Couldn't open $file on $machine for write \n";
print OUT @out
        or die "Couldn't update file";