For Quality purpouses, Lone Wolf 's mail on Thursday 05 February 2004 00:52
may have been monitored or recorded as:
> I'm back to dealing with the main issue of a badly formatted file being
> brought down from an archaic system and needing to be cleaned up before
> being passed to another user or a database table.  I have the code

I assume by saying you are back that you are talking ofyour thread from 12/17:
"get rid of whitesace around pipes??".

> below, which pulls the whole file in and parse it line by line.  That
> problem is still that when the stuff is done parsing the file, the file
> still has a ton of white spaces left in it.

did you try something like
my @fields = split /\s*\|\s*/, $line;
as suggested by James, Jeff and Randy?
Why didnt it work - the problem looks still pretty much the same, does it?

> What I would like to do is when I first open the file (another piece of
> this massive script) is tell it to just run a sub program on each piece
> that does the same thing as the stuff below, unfortunately I am not sure
> of the way to do this.

Frankly, after a while of looking at your code Im still not sure what you want
do - that might be due to my ignorance, but you would really help me (and I
guess others too) understand, if you could post  some sample data before they
go into your program and a line of how you expect thme to look like after
they were processed by your code - I guess that would make it easier to
figure out, where what goes how (or so).

Wolf