Hello,

If you've no experience whatsoever, then Beginning Perl for
Bioinformatics is
very helpful - then move on to Learning Perl I guess.  It assumes no
prior
knowledge, and although its focus is on Biology, it's all just data
isn't it?

Cheers,

Harvey

-------------------
>On 2/4/2004 10:17 PM, wolf blaum wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I like:
>>
>> Learning Perl by Randal Schwartz & Tom Phoenix as a good
introduction
with
>> tons of further references
>>
>> Programing Perl by Larry Wall, Tom Christiansen and Jon Orwant as
the
ultimate
>> refernce and pillow
>>
>> Mastering Perl/Tk by Steve Lidie and Nancy Walsh for times when I
dont
have
>> access to this mailing list and zentaras hints
>>
>> The Perl Cookbook by Tom Christiansen and Nathan Torkington for
when I
was to
>> lasy to think for myself (or wanted to get depressed by how much
better one
>> could solve the problem Ive been working on in hunderts of lines)
>>
>> And even though I never read it in the linear way: Mastering
regular
>> expressions by Jeffrey Friedl
>>
>> Not to forget: perldoc perltoc or www.perldoc.com
>>
>> and The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy and Last Chance to see by
Douglas
>> Adams.
>>
>> I guess others would recomend The Lord of the rings too.
>>
>> Good night:-)
>> Wolf
>
>Since there was no mention what kind of perl books (beginner, etc.):
>
>I'd add: "Object Oriented Perl" by Damian Conway, I've also been
wanting
>to check out "Learning Perl Objects, References, & Modules" by
Randall
>Schwartz. "Advanced Perl Programming" by Sriram Srinivasan (getting
>slightly out of date; seems I heard of updated edition coming ???).
>"Effective Perl Programming" by Joseph Hall is not bad. "Writing Perl

>Modules for CPAN" by Sam Tregar is pretty good if your going to write

>modules for CPAN. "Extending & Embedding Perl" by Tim Jenness & Simon

>Cozens is good if your going to get into Perl/XS.
>
>You'll definately want the Perl Cookbook mentioned above. It's the
Perl
>equivelant of the Effective C++ books.
>
>Regards,
>Randy.