Mike Flannigan wrote:

> In any case, hitting ctrl C does not copy anything to the
> clipboard, and you cannot highlight just part of a line
> of text.

Ah, but right clicking on the Text widget will--unless you have hacked the selection
activities.
If so, well--*Don't do that*--at least not until you have checked the unhacked
functionality of the widget.  Tk::Text widgets have built-in copy-and-paste
functionality.  If you manipualte the selection variables, though, you may be
generating side effects that disable this functionality.

Okay.  I just checked it out.  I brought up a project containing a Tk::Text widget,
whose editing functions I had done nothing with.  Highlighted one phrase,
right-clicked and selected Copy.  Pasted to Notepad from the clipboard, and got the
same phrase.  Then I went down a line or two, selected another passage, used Ctl-c to
copied, and again the pasted text showed a successful copy.

I think something is going wrong with your highlighting routine.  Or perhaps this is
ot a Text widget?  If left alone, the Text widget will offer full copy-and-paste
functionality.

> > Houston, TX
> >
> > Mike, I think you have a conceptual problem here.
>
> Yeah, my main problem is I'm using Windows.

Nope.  Windows certainly has its share of shortcomings, but they really don't seem to
bear on the issues you are presenting.  The habit of low-level hacking will get you in
even more trouble on Linux.

>  I've been
> trying to get a Linux box set up for quite some time now,
> but it looks like it's going to be quite a bit longer before I
> have it running.

> > Seeking STDIN from a GUI
> > widget,
>
> Yeah, I thought you could do that.  I need to study TK quite
> a bit.

Yes.  Tk is a complex, diverse, and somewhat uneven libary.  It is really a ood idea
to read the documentation on each widget you use.  Each widget has its own
characteristics and behaviorSome of them are pretty obvious, some are more subtle.

So I will reiterate:

> > hacking
> > and breaking working file associations, etc.  indicate a bad habit that will
> > hobble your programming
> > efforts if unaddressed.  *Let working systems be*, don't fix what ain't broke.

Joseph