Thanks everyone.  I feel sortof like a dope since I
knew that to save the results of a function, I'd have
to save it in a variable.  I just forgot in the
excitement of trying to use all the functions in the
same line.

Someone, I believe Jenda, brought up that the "useless
use of lc" was a warning, not an error.  Is the
difference between the two that an error stops the
program and a warning continues on with the program?

Also, can I not combine chomp() with another function?
 I think I like the ability to combine functions in
the same line.

Now I'm going to go back and reread what everyone
wrote.  Thanks again.