I want to take input from <STDIN> and then convert it
to lowercase.  so I tried this:

lc(chomp($input = <STDIN>)));

and I got an error message that said I couldn't use lc
in that way - or something like that.  I can't
remember the message now.

then I tried this:

lc($input);

and I got the same error.

Then I checked my copy of Learning Perl and the index
pointed me to an example of lower case, but it was a
regex example, not a function.  So I thought that
perhaps I had confused two different languages and
that Perl didn't have a lowercase function.

Just now I checked the man pages to see if I really
was not remembering the function for lowercase.  When
I went there, sure enough, lc was there.

http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.0/pod/func/lc.html

The way it is described makes me think that I am using
it correctly, but Perl is telling me different.
So, am I using it incorrectly?  Thanks