I'm having trouble counting the number of specific substrings within a string. I'm working on a bioinformatics coursework at the moment, so my string looks like this:

$sequence = "caggaacttcccctcggaagaccatgta";

I want to count the number of occurrences of each pair of letters, for example:

Number of occurrences of "aa"
Number of occurrences of "gt"
Number of occurrences of "cc"

This is how I'm counting the number of "cc" pairs at the moment ($cc is my counter variable):

$cc++ while $sequence =~ /cc/gi;

But this only matches the literal string "cc", so if, as it scans $sequence, it finds "cccc" it's only counting it once instead of three times.

What pattern do I need to be looking for in the $sequence if I want to count *all* occurences of "cc" -- even if they overlap?

I apologise if this is an already documented problem, I've tried a number of Google Groups searches, as well as searches on learn.perl.org, but without finding an answer.

Many thanks for any help offered.

Henry.