On Monday 01 Mar 2004 4:40 pm, James Edward Gray II wrote:
[snip]

> >> I'm not too found of mixing subroutines and methods, especially in the
> >> same file.  Why don't you turn them into class methods, instead.  This
> >> especially makes sense for things like debug(), which the other
> >> classes
> >> can then call with Trainset->debug().
> >
> > Wouldn't that confuse things regarding the %_DEBUG?  I don't see the
> > problem
> > with using subroutines within the class itself, although I could
> > understand
> > it if the subs were used outside the class it was in.
>
> I doubt it, no.  In fact, I suspect it would be an improvement.  If you
> have a:
>
> my %_DEBUG;    # lexical scoping makes this a class variable
>
> in Trainset.pm that is setup will the needed information and provide a
> class method interface to it, it's a 100% solution that needs now other
> hashes or methods.  That seems ideal to me.

I must be missing something here, cos I can't see how it'll work.  If I create
Trainset/Utils.pm to hold the debug and validate routines, how can it access
%_DEBUG which is defined as a 'my' scoped hash in the Trainset package?

How would it know to use the %_DEBUG from Trainset::Track when called from
there?

--
Gary Stainburn