> > In the end, I want @SAN to have all the unique
> names
> > within the file.  Any ideas?
>       You just described a Hash. Use %hash and then
> either uppercase or lowercase the the incoming key.
> YOu could then add a count to the Hash so you know
> you are looking at all things or not. The keys for a
> hash can only appear once(ie, San and SAn are two
> different keys) that is why you should uppper or
> lower the keys.
>
> Wags ;)

If I had a hash, I'd have to have a key and a value
though.  I'm just looking for one or the other.  I
suppose I could have key value pairs in the %SAN hash
like so:

Parker:san
Bowen:san
etc
Then I'd probably stick all of the keys into an array.
However, using a hash I wouldn't have to use a foreach
loop or an unless, would I?  That would make the
Parker:san format and then dumping the keys into an
array worth it.

As for lowercasing or uppercasing all the incoming
names, they are all in the same format, capital
letter, lower case letters.  I think what you were
implying with using the hash is that if the incoming
name matches one of the keys, it will overwrite that
key.  Since the names are in the same format, then
there's no need to uppercase or lowercase them, right?