James Edward Gray II wrote:
On Feb 28, 2004, at 1:24 PM, R. Joseph Newton wrote:

Rob Dixon wrote:

David Le Blanc wrote:

Actually, I'd better apologise for calling RPC::p* secure, simple, or well documented, before anyone comes at me with a knife :-(

You won't feel a thing. Trust me: I'm an analyst.

/R

Well, this has all been fun [and funny] reading. For the OP's sake, though, how
aboult Wolf's suggestion:
IO::Socket
What kind of experiences have folks had with this? Do others see this as a
useful entry point to Perl networking?

Servers are a lot of what I do. I've written fork()ing and non-blocking servers in Perl just using the basic tools, like the mentioned IO::Socket, plus IO::Select, etc. It's very doable, but I believe it falls more under the "...hard things possible" slant of Perl philosophy. It's a lot of work.

I can't provide much feedback myself, since I haven't really ventured into LAN
programming, but I am interested finding good entry points.

At the top of my To Learn When I Have Time list is POE. I'll definitely get to that before I find myself writing another server. I think that's a much better choice than working out the low-level networking mess by hand.

Right, Wiggins? :D

After a long delay, absolutely... though I still intend on getting into the guts of it at some point, but if I needed a server in production I would start with POE...

By the way, Snowmass was great! ;-)

http://danconia.org