From: "Randy W. Sims" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 16, 2004 4:11 AM
Subject: Re: DBI, DBD question

> Please post to the list when possible so others can contribute/benefit.
> Thanks. Comments inline below:
>
> On 03/15/04 22:56, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > I tried running the install commands in PPM and got this:
> >
> > 'Retrieving package 'DBD'...
> > Error installing package 'DBD' : Could not locate a PPD file for package
DBD'

> There is no package for DBD (I think).
>
> > I get the same thing when I try running the 'install DBD-ODBC'.
>
> Hmm, that should work. What do you get when you 'search DBD-ODBC'?
> What about 'install DBI'?
>
> >  The version of PERL I have is 2.1.
>
> That can't be right. What is the output of 'perl -v'?
>
> If I didn't mention it before, you can find the latest ActiveState Perl
> release at <http://www.activestate.com>.
>
> > I'm not sure how I can get them installed. If you have
> > any suggestions I sure could use them.  I hope I'm not taking up too
much of
> > your time, I appreciate the help.
>
> Not sure how much I can help as I don't really use ppm myself (I have
> compilers and build my modules manually). You might want find someone
> better suited to helping on the ppm mailing-list
> <http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/> (There are some other good
> lists on that page too), but I'll try to help here if I can.
>
> > P.S - If this helps at all this is the first error message I got when I
tried
> > running the program the first time:
> >
> > 'Can't locate DBI.pm in @INC <@INC contains: C:/Perl/lib
C:/Perl/site/lib .>
> > at addCustomersWeb.pl line 12.
> > BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at addCustomersWeb.pl line 12.'
>
> That does confirm that DBI is not installed.
>
> --
> <http://learn.perl.org/> <http://learn.perl.org/first-response>

The Programmer's Package Manager (PPM) handles the installation of modules. However by
default it attempts to do so from ActiveState's on line repository. This can be
tricky, especially when going through a proxy server (in fact it won't work). The best
approach is to download the module in zip format and create a local repository. Follow
the steps below :

Download your zipped module for 5.6.1 from here and save to a local directory e.g.
c:\temp. Uncompress using winzip.

Start PPM from the command prompt c:\> ppm3

To see the default repositories type repository. you will likely get the following :

Repositories:
[1] ActiveState PPM2 Repository
[2] ActiveState Package Repository

Establish a local repository in the directory you saved the zip file to :

repository add temp C:\temp

repository should now give you :

Repositories:
[1] ActiveState PPM2 Repository
[2] ActiveState Package Repository
[3] temp

Make that repository the primary by :

repository up 3
repository up 2

repository should now give you :

Repositories:
[1] temp
[2] ActiveState PPM2 Repository
[3] ActiveState Package Repository

search <module_name> will list the module downloaded to the local directory

install <module_name> will install it