Stuart White wrote:

> I'm trying to decide if I want to take a break from
> this specific task and get into the examples of
> subroutines and references in my book.  On the one
> hand, that should give me a much better grip on them,
> but on the other, that's time spent that I could be
> using to work on my own program.  I could be taking a
> program that I know pretty well now, and tweak it to
> include references and subroutines, like I've been
> trying to do.

I think it would be time well spent, presuming you have good, solid references.
Getting a good grasp of the essential tools will save a great deal of time when
you put your skills to work on practical projects.  You do have to be ready to
shift your paradigm just a bit, since perl is very much its own animal.  Taken
on itw own terms, though, it can be very effective and dependable.  The main
catch is that you have to choose that dependability, such as choosing to use
strict.

Joseph