Doug Guilding wrote:
I am trying to get perl scripts working on a win2k server - does anyone have
any good ideas.
My ISP say that they "cannot support the use of web scripts" However they
have told me the path to perl and sendmail.
/usr/bin/perl
/usr/sbin/sendmail
The problem is I can't get anything to work. I've downloaded perl and can
run scripts locally, but online is another story.
Do I need to create a CGI-BIN of my own, or do ISPs generally have a
communal one? If I need to create one, does it need to be within my site, or
on my top level (as the html files are obviously not in the top level of my
webspace.

In general this is handled in a couple of ways, a) with a cgi-bin that is pre-configured in the web server. Within this 'bin' a file will be executed whenever it is requested. Generally this is handled on a per account or even per domain basis, *if* it is enabled at all. Most providers wouldn't use a communal cgi-bin these days. or b) All of the directories under an account that are accessible have the option of having executable files, generally this is considered a bad idea and not provided. Simply because Perl and sendmail are installed does not mean you will have privilege to run scripts over HTTP, and this may be what your ISP is telling you when they say they "cannot support the use of web scripts". Otherwise I would imagine they have documented what their options are, you should check their online documentation. In the case that neither is true, you may want to consider a new ISP.

http://danconia.org