> Exec will shell out and run whatever exec called.  At least I believe
> the correct term is "shell out".  Learning Perl says in page 196 that
> exec  locates the program you called and jumps to it.  There is no perl
> process anymore.  So I guess it's more of an exit Perl and run this
> command sort of thing..

Correct.

perldoc -f exec

For more.

So once you do that, Perl is gone.  System
> however returns you back to Perl.  If you want Perl not to wait you can
> open a process as a file handle.  I haven't tried it however it suggests
> this will run Perl and your process in parallel.

Yes, alternatively you can use fork+exec to have a forked process that
is non-blocking, the reason to use pipes is so that the two can
communicate more easily, this isn't always desired.

> Something to try

perldoc perlipc
perldoc perlfork
perldoc IPC::Open3

Explains most of this, much better than I can.

http://danconia.org

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >from what I remember reading and was told as a best practice using exec
> >/.../..../ was recommended over system.  For this reason exec does not
> >create a child and therefore does not have to wait.  the perl process
> >itself runs the command or program.  what are the pros and cons of each?
> >
> >thanks
> >

> >Derek B. Smith
> >OhioHealth IT
> >UNIX / TSM / EDM Teams