Wiggins d Anconia wrote:

perldoc -f exec

Ok. makes sense.

*** Since it's a common mistake to use "exec" instead
      of "system", Perl warns you if there is a following­
      statement which isn't "die", "warn", or "exit"    ***

I've pretty much decided it's either system or a filehande process for me. I don't see myself using exec too often :-)

Yes, alternatively you can use fork+exec to have a forked process that
is non-blocking, the reason to use pipes is so that the two can
communicate more easily, this isn't always desired.

I get the impression that fork may not be a good idea. Perldoc suggests it "could" leave zombie child processes hanging around. It also gives a suggestion how to fix this ($SIG(CHLD)). Not sure this really is a great idea. It would affect not just Perl but other system processes running. Might not want to set it to ignore. Also, it makes the presumption the system has that handy.

The thing I really like about Perl, there is always another way to do something :-)

This exercise has really helped my understanding BTW. I appreciate the help!!!