On Jun 29, David Arnold said:

>\backans{If $x=y^{2n}$ and $z=y^{3n}_{11}$, then we can substitute
>       to find a solution.}
>
>I'd like to scan the file and replace all of these with this format:
>
>\begin{answer}
>If $x=y^{2n}$ and $z=y^{3n}_{11}$, then we can substitute
>to find a solution.
>\end{answer}

To match nested things, you probably want to use Regexp::Common, which
allows you to do that very easily:

  use Regexp::Common;

  $text =~ s<
    \\ backans {
      ( $RE{balanced}{-parens=>'{}'} )
    }
  ><\\begin{answer}\n$1\n\\end{answer}>xg;

The /x modifier is so that I can have extra whitespace, and the /g
modifier means "do it globally".  The %RE hash is quite magical -- see the
Regexp::Common docs for an explanation.  The module isn't standard,
though, so you'd have to download it from CPAN yourself.

If you want a stand-alone solution, you can have one if you make use of
some of Perl's special regex constructs:

  my $rx;  # must be declared first...
  $rx = qr[
    (?:
      (?> [^{}\\]+ | \\. )

      { (??{ $rx }) }
    )*
  ]xs;
  $text =~ s/\\backans{($rx)}/\\begin{answer}\n$1\n\\end{answer}/g;

Its primary trick is the (??{ ... }) assertion, which evaluates its
contents as PART of the regex to match.  Since its contents are $rx
itself, it basically creates an automatically deeply-enough nested regex
for you on the fly.

--
Jeff "japhy" Pinyan      [EMAIL PROTECTED]      http://www.pobox.com/~japhy/
RPI Acacia brother #734   http://www.perlmonks.org/   http://www.cpan.org/