Ramprasad A Padmanabhan wrote:
I want to write a basic http download ( text/binary) script using
IO::Socket. Does anyone have any examples anywhere.

I know ,everyone must be wondering why I cant use ready modules like LWP. Well I want to auto transfer files to different remote machines. and these machines ( in all flavors of unix/linux ) dont have tools like LWP/ftp/wget/lynx etc and I cant install these on the machines

LWP requires none of those tools. It does exactly what you are describing: it opens a socket and uses the HTTP protocol to talk to the server.

Randy.