Michael S. Robeson II wrote:
Which of the two "if" statements gets evaluated first? I am trying
to figure out "in english" what the "if" statements are actually
doing. Is it saying:

"If a line begins with  ">bla-bla"  and if  $seq  (which appears no
where else in the code other than " $seq="" ") exists assign it to
the hash "pro" with the name "bla-bla"."

So my question is how does the inner if statement work when seq=""
is out side that "if" statement?

It's a while loop. For a particular iteration of the loop, $seq and $name may contain values that were assigned to them during a *previous* iteration, but the values that will be used in the inner if-statement during the *current* iteration is not related to what will happen to those variables later during this same iteration.

Is the outer "if" statement evaluated first then the inner?

As long as we are talking about the same iteration: No.

Because how does the inner "if" statement know what "$seq" is?

See above.

HTH

--
Gunnar Hjalmarsson