Please group reply so others can help and be helped, and so your posts
don't get accidentally ignored... also please bottom post.

> This is perl, v5.8.0 built for sun4-solaris
>
> Copyright 1987-2002, Larry Wall
>
> Perl may be copied only under the terms of either the Artistic License
or the
> GNU General Public License, which may be found in the Perl 5 source kit.
>
> Complete documentation for Perl, including FAQ lists, should be found on
> this system using `man perl' or `perldoc perl'.  If you have access to the
> Internet, point your browser at http://www.perl.com/, the Perl Home Page.

> The only difference between the following to runs of this application
is that I edited the source in vi and executed the following commands 4
times and saved the results.

I am wondering if this is a line ending problem, was the script ever
written on Windows? Possibly originally composed there before opening it
in vi?

> 1,$s/  / /g

> suncluster05: perl ../scripts/errortest.pl -h
>
> Bareword found where operator expected at ../scripts/errortest.pl line
373, near "case"
>         (Missing semicolon on previous line?)
> syntax error at ../scripts/errortest.pl line 332, near ") {"

This is not a garbage error, you have a syntax error.  This must be
fixed, not sure how it is possible for this script to run on one
platform but not another.

> Global symbol "$where" requires explicit package name at
../scripts/errortest.pl line 373.

<snip declaration messages>

If you declare your variables you will not get the above lines.

> syntax error at ../scripts/errortest.pl line 421, near "if (
$errorline =~ /("
>   (Might be a runaway multi-line // string starting on line 373)
> ../scripts/errortest.pl has too many errors.

Another syntax error, which indicates that you have a regex open at the
line stated.

You will have to fix the syntax errors before we can even deduce if
there really is another problem, let alone how to fix it. If you need
help with the syntax errors give a shout. To check the syntax of your
script run,

perl -c <script name>

Until that passes we shouldn't look elsewhere.

<snip old posts>

http://danconia.org