Singh, Harjit wrote:
Randy, The code is still not working with the modifications that you listed
earlier. The code does not have any compilation errors but does not
show the results for the variables $1, $2 and $3. I was wandering if
you could think of something else that is causing the problem.

#!C:\perl\bin\perl5.6.1

You forgot:

use strict;
use warnings;

$file1 = ' C:\perl\bin\dummy.txt' ;

my $file1 = ' C:\perl\bin\dummy.txt' ;

open (INFO, "< $file1 ") or die "Can't open $file: $1";
^^^^ ^^
Your die message uses a different variable ($file vs $file1). And you probably meant $! vs $1 to display the error message.

open (INFO, "< $file1 ") or die "Can't open $file1: $!";

while (<INFO>)
{

{

 print " $1,$2, $3 "; }}

close (INFO);

Despite the problems mentioned above, I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. Your code works as is for me with a dummy.txt file of, eg.

2.2.100.200.300