>Are you thinking of :
>
>( $a1,$b1,$a2,$b2,$a3,$b3,$a4,$b4,$a5,$b5 ) = $_ =~ /regexp/  ?

that might be what i need-  if i'm going to be working with these values
alot, then i want to know what they are at the outset....

>The result of a regexp ($1..$9) are returned in array context, so you
can
>either assign them to an array
>
>@data = $_ =~ /regexp/
>
>or return them to named variables as above.
>
>I use the above, because I can't stand using '$1' '$2' '$3' etc for
more
>than
>two lines of code below the regexp capture, because context is lost to
>the reader.

exactly!  i have enough trouble with the regex itself to worry about
what the captures refer to.

I'd forgotten about matches returning in a list context- no s///
required.

thanks,

willy
http://www.hackswell.com/corenth