Yeah, I have just submitted that same question verbatim to the bio-perl list. I am still running through some ideas though. I have both Bioinformatics perl books. They are not very effective teaching books.

The books spend too much time on using modules. Though while I understand the usefulness of not having to re-write code, it is a bad idea for beginners like me. Because re-writing code at first gives me a lot of practice. Some of the scripts in the books use like 3-5 modules, so it gets confusing on what is going on.

I mean the books are not useless, but they definitely are structured for a class with a teacher.

:-)

-Mike