On 30 Sep 2004 19:52:31 -0000, PerlDiscuss - Perl Newsgroups and
mailing lists <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am using Cygwin on Win2K and the version of perl on it is
> v5.8.0
>
> I am using the same input file, but when I run the command you ran, the
> output looks like
>
> Object1  Description1
>
> Object2
> Description2
>
> Object3
> Description3
>
> Thanks

Hi again,

Just to let you know, most on this list will become upset with you if
you don't bottom-post.  For future reference ...

Ok, I've got ActiveState on WinXP, 5.8.4 ... I tried and found that I
had the same problems as you.  After much playing around, I found it's
a quoting problem on the command line (at least, in my case it was).
I just don't have a good grasp of quoting rules and precedence in DOS
I guess.  Here's what I did to make it work on my DOS command line:

C:\ > perl -l -00pe s/\n/\t/;s/\"//g object.txt

I basically just removed the single-quotes from around the code in the
'-e' option.  That gave me the output I was looking for.  Try it and
let us know.

--Errin

BTW, anyone have a good reference for DOS quoting rules/precedence?