Thanks, Errin, Doug and Bob,

Errin Larsen wrote on 01.10.2004:

>On Fri,  1 Oct 2004 17:41:50 +0200, Jan Eden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>How can I pass an option to system's first argument in a setting
>>like this?
>
>This is ironic:
>
>>If all else fails read the instructions. - Donald Knuth
>
>First, check out 'perldoc -f system'  The answer to you question is
>in the first paragraph!

I *did* read the perldoc, of course. But I obviously misunderstood it and carefully
avoided *both* working combination (single argument or four arguments to system). I
thought that using three arguments (command, options, url) would cause Perl to execute

wget -O /dev/null http://janeden.org

Obviously, it only does this when getting the whole string split on whitespace *or* in
one piece. Should have tried before wasting your time. Sorry.

- Jan
--
How many Microsoft engineers does it take to screw in a lightbulb? None. They just
redefine "dark" as the new standard.