Search for a program called 'shellexec'.  (use google).

Shellexec does exactly what you want, but its a windows executable, so
instead of calling
defopen "something";

try

system("shellexec something");

you should be able to download shellexec or an equivalent from many places.

As for portable? Its portable among the various platforms that run
word-4-windows (duh)