Wait a minute there.  I'm not learning programming.  I've been a perl
programmer for 7 years and have written hundreds of more complex
programs than this and have written to thousands of files in my time.
I just needed another pair of eyes to possibly point out what I was
doing wrong.

Also, posting to this list is not wasting hundreds of other people's
time.  It's a discussion list.  If you're looking at my message it
means that you're either seeking to help or seeking help.  Therefore,
you are choosing to devote a few minutes of your time to help or be
helped.

Sorry my post rubbed you the wrong way.

Ah-freakin'-men. Gunnar, what the *hell*? I've been reading this list for a couple of months now and the majority of your posts seem to be little more than chiding people in an extremely unpleasant tone. Is that your job? Do you think it's consistent with this list's claim to be a place where beginners can ask questions in a friendly environment? Come on. Try being civil, please.